ACE FT 8 | Organic-Rich Shales of the Northern Appalachian Basin
Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM)
Thursday, 11 June – Sunday, 14 June 2020, 5:00 p.m.–1:00 p.m. | New York
Who Should Attend
Geologists, Engineers, Students
Attendees will see cores and outcrops of the organic-rich Utica, Marcellus, Geneseo and other Upper Devonian black shales as we travel from east to west along a basin transect. There will be discussion of the sedimentology, stratigraphy, depositional setting, faults and fractures, geochemistry, reservoir characteristics, and changes in these features as we travel across the northern edge of the basin. All outcrops are compared to wireline logs from nearby wells to link the outcrop to the subsurface. We will also see and discuss formations that occur above, below and in between the black shales to better understand the stratigraphic framework including the spectacular Watkins Glen. The course will help to visualize each of these important reservoirs and to better understand lateral variations across the basin and identify sweetspots.
- $1,000 Professionals
- $615 Students (limited number)
- 55 People
- Educational Credits
- 1.7 CEU
- 17 PDH
- Hotel for Thursday, Friday and Saturday (single occupancy)
- Ground Transportation
- Food and Materials
- There is some minor hiking involved. Hats and hiking shoes suggested.
- Hardhats required for Marcellus Quarry visit
- Lime ticks are the main health risk so long sleeves and pants are suggested.
- Airfare Not Included
- Book flights to arrive in Albany by 4:00pm Thursday and to depart Sunday after 3:00pm
- Thursday, 11 June 5:00 PM–7:30 PM Introduction and core viewing in Albany.
- Friday, 12 June Start in Albany, see outcrops that include Utica and Marcellus shales. End in Ithaca.
- Saturday, 13 June Start in Ithaca and end in Hamburg. Outcrops include Geneseo Shale at Taughannock Falls, Watkins Glen, Letchworth State Park, and the Marcellus Shale in LeRoy, New York.
- Sunday, 14 June Start in Hamburg and end at the Buffalo-Niagara Airport by 1:00 PM (book flights after 3 PM). Outcrops include the Eternal Flame in the Dunkirk Shale, the radically thinned section at 18-Mile Creek and the Rhinestreet Shale outcropping on the shores of Lake Erie.